Monday, February 18, 2013

Out of the comfort zone

I'm not a really sporty girl...never have been.  I didn't play many team sports as a kid.  I was one of those kids who were always picked last for team.   A good book was always preferred over physical activity. When I met my husband in 1989 all that changed.  While not a real sports fanatic himself, he was certainly very active. He introduced me to backcountry backpacking, scuba diving, wilderness canoeing/kayaking, and what has become one of my favourite acitivities, cycling.

In the last 24 years that we've been together I've come to realize that the biggest high in life is doing things outside my comfort zone, even though I'm sometimes scared silly. The sense of accomplishment is amazing.

That is partially why I've registered for the Tough Mudder in Whistler on June 23rd.

The Tough Mudder is an obstacle race, held in different places worldwide throughout the year. Designed by the British Special Forces, the race is configured to test your grit and endurance with obstacles meant to scare the height challenged (me), the electricity fraidy cats (me) and otherwise present obstacles that will make you really sore, bruised and perhaps pyschologically damaged.

Yikes!

A group of ladies in Barriere, close to where I live in British Columbia, Canada, decided to enter as a team -- called Tough Enough -- and I verbally committed to join them a few days later.   I committed after watching the trailer of the race from the website (brave me!)...but I've refrained from looking at any other visuals since.

I'm terribly out of shape...since turning 40 six years ago I've let my physical fitness slide a fair bit. This was another reason I joined the group. I really wanted to regain some control over my sense of physical well-being.

For the last four weeks I have: given up coffee, walked 5kms three to four times a week with other team members,  and my daughter and husband, I have tried to eat better (still a challenge!) and I work out in a weight room 2-3 days a week.

It's still winter here in British Columia, Canada, but here I am as of this morning, getting ready for my fast walk. This morning saw me add a backpack with 10 pounds in it.  I sure felt it!  When I was finished and took the back pack off, I almost fell flat on my face!



No stranger to narcissism (check out www.darfieldearthship.com) I've decided to blog about this bit of fun as I prepare for this physical challenge.

Oi!  Stay tuned.

Sandra


No comments:

Post a Comment