Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Signs of progress

As of yesterday I am SW -5.  I've logged a negative on the scale. (SW being Starting Weight).

It's kind of ironic.  When I last posted I had just been walking with a 10 pound pack. The next day I went to the weight room.  That night I was in some pain, mostly my lower back but also my elbows.

I figure this was poorly distributed weight in the unpadded pack I was using, coupled with a bit too much of an increase in the weights in the gym.

So I laid off walking and working out for about four days.  And registered a weight loss.

Huh.

I'm not going to read too much into this; I honestly don't think the suspension of my activity is going to achieve my goals for June.

I've been back at it the last few days and I continue to see some small changes in muscle tone everywhere.  I'm quietly pleased. 

I am tired at night (in a good way) so I'm going to bed earlier. This has the added benefit of keeping me away from evening snacking; which could be contributing somewhat to the mysterious weight loss. 

I'm going to chalk it all up to the cumulative effects of being more active and let it be for now.

On another note, I started running a few days ago. It was the first time I'd intentionally run since I was 16.  I've moved pretty quickly over the years...I've run to catch up to kids and farm animals, run away from fires (when our business burned), and run short distances when playing baseball with the kids.

But this was the first time I actually ran to be a runner.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't puke when I was done, which is what happened when I was 16.

Here are the steps I took:

1) Strapped the girls in my new jiggle-free armour (I purchased this new equipment on the weekend when I was in the Big City.)
2) Borrowed Chris' sports watch so I could time myself
3) Memorized the training times given to me by a fellow Tough Mudder team member (she kept the pamphlet from the Running Room and lent it to me.)
4) Took a deep breath and started.

At first glance, the running instructions seemed pretty easy...one minute running, two minutes walking, 6 sets.  I was honestly thinking I might reverse them (two minutes running, one minute walking) but my friend assured me that adhering to this pattern for the first three runs of week #1 would ensure an injury free start for a beginner.

So after a five minute warm-up walk, I started running when the watch said 5:01. 

I ran and ran and ran and figured I was easily over a minute...looked at my watch and saw 5:36.  Darn.

The first three sets were pretty easy. By half way through I was still feeling o.k. I was a bit warm so I took off my jacket and tied it around my waist.

During the last half I was  using my two minutes of walking to slow my breathing and to stop my legs from shaking. I kept one eye on Hwy 5 on the lookout for trucks too close to me, and the other eye on the watch to make sure I didn't start running until the watch read exactly on the minute!

I managed to run/walk half my 5K route during the allotted six sets and chose to walk the rest. Well, I was 2.5 kms away from my van, so I pretty much had to get back somehow! The entire route took me 46 minutes, which is exactly what it takes if I just walk.

I must have been walking slowly enough to use up any speed I was getting with running. Yeesh.

I was definitely more winded and my leg muscles hurt a lot more.  But I did it!  Which means I can do it again (and hopefully again and again until June 23rd).

Some things I've noticed while running:

1) Dress so you're a bit cold.  You warm up faster and hotter than when walking. As my daughter Katie says when she dances, "Be bold, start cold."
2) Learn a certain amount of indifference...to what you look like to passing motorists and pedestrians
3)Learn to be gracious...if somebody recognizes you or honks their horn, give a wave, even if you can hardly lift your arm.
4) Drooling is probably not going to bother you if you can't feel your ankles anymore.  I think I'm going to have to warm up my ankles a bit bettter.  My first transition from the five minute warm up to actual running sent barbs of pain up my legs.

Today I do Day #2 of Week #1 running schedule. Yesterday while I was in Kamloops working I hit the weight room.

As a bonus, the weather is getting consistently warmer and drier.  Can't wait until I can get on my bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment