Saturday, April 13, 2013

In the zone

I've been busy, so I've been very quiet here.

I think I just started Week #8 of my running schedule. Today I ran 8 minutes, walked 1, ran 8, walked one and then ran 2.

I just finished 6,1,6,1,6.

What I'm finding is that at the end of each week my heart rate is staying steady at 143 or 145 per minute from about the middle of the run to the end.

Every time I start a new schedule (like today) my heart rate jumps by the end. Today I clocked 153 by the last two minutes of running. I'm expecting by the end of this week it will have stabilized again. I like it. It means my cardiovascular system is much stronger and getting stronger all the time. My breathing is easier, too.

I feel pretty good. I'm not daunted by starting a new week and I'm actually beginning to think beyond week 10 of the schedule. I'm not sure what I will do then as far as running goes. It's still not my favourite thing to do, but for now it's been my favourite obstacle to overcome.

The group has started some endurance training and I think this will be a focus from now until June. There are some nice hills around here and the consensus is that we now have to start climbing them. (Mostly hiking, there isn't a lot of talk about running up them.)  Thank goodness.

Weight training is going well.  After running, I spend 20-25 minutes on a variety of stations. I'm concentrating on my arms as the obstacles at Tough Mudder seem to require upper body strength. I've noticed my muscles across my back feel much better.  We don't own a full length mirror so I really don't know what they look like. ;)  I have great biceps right now, though, and those I CAN see.  My legs are pretty solid, from the running and some of the weights I've been doing.

All in all I feel great. I'm looking forward to getting out for endurance activities. This will be where all our hard work through winter and early spring will pay off. 

Oh, and while I have the chance, I'd like to thank all my world-wide Facebook friends for posting Tough Mudder pictures on their timelines.  You can't scare me. :D

Well, o.k. Maybe a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment