Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Westsyde Grind

Almost a week ago a good 90% of our Mudder ladies climbed up Westsyde Road.  This is a gravel road on the other side of Barriere, across the North Thompson River.

Because I was coming from Darfield I decided to meet the group at the bottom of the hill and the rest walked 1.5 kms to get there, along Station Rd and Hwy 5.

That was a climb!

Kudos to J and M who talked the whole way up (3.5 kms) and didn't break stride.  K and I lost sight of them about half way up. She and I mutually agreed that we wouldn't talk on the climb up.  It was a silent agreement because we both found it difficult to talk and climb.

I had to turn backwards and walk a few steps every little while to relieve the strain on my muscles.  But I didn't stop, although I enjoyed the 100 m straight stretch half way up!

The group is scattered this weekend so I'm going to do it again tomorrow morning with Peggy, who wasn't able to make it last week.

On another note, this week I started Week #9 of running.  Ten minutes running, one walking, ten minutes running.  I was easily able to do this so I am heartened. Next week my schedule says Week #10:  Fun Run, 10 minutes.

What?  That's like the easiest run since about week #5.  I think I'm going to make Week #10 a run 20 minutes run and see how I feel about it.  I wonder if I can eliminate the minute rest?

Chris, my husband, tells me that at some point in a running schedule the running suddenly just starts to happen. It feels a little like  that to me  in the last few weeks.  He has been training for a sprint triathlon for the last nine weeks and I've been watching him do 80 minute runs!  He's racing on May 5...so I hope his running is finally happening.

On the fitness side of things. I've stopped weighing myself. I'd lose five pound, gain it back, hear all about muscle gain, yada yada, so I ignore the scale.  I'm still noticing lots of toning, loss of a few inches overall and my cardio stamina is so much better. I can easily run 10 minutes and barely break out in a sweat (I make up for it in the next 10!)  I'm still concentrating on weights on my upper body and I'm finding hefting things (car batteries, groceries, wood, etc) much easier.

I'm actually looking forward to Tough Mudder just a bit.

On another note, our family has just reserved our spots for the West Coast Trail on July 3rd so Chris and I are really looking forward to that. The kids are a bit nervous, but they paddled the Bowron Lakes Circuit four years ago (when they were 9, 10 and 11) so I'm sure they will be fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment