Saturday, March 30, 2013

Knickers twisted...

Last weekend two of our children attended a homeschool Makers conference in Vancouver, so Chris and I decided to take the opportunity to cycle in Stanley Park.

We loaded up the bikes and headed down to the coast from our home north of Kamloops. On Sunday morning we got the kids loaded onto the Sea Bus and headed for Stanley Park.

Turns out that we should've done a bit of maintenance on the bikes before we left. Chris was pumping up one of his tires and blew the valve.  Because I needed to get the last 3-1 run in I offered to let him get my bike adjusted so he could do a bit while I ran.  After spending 30 minutes trying to get the lock unlocked (we were putting veggie oil in it to loosen it) and then 20 minutes adjusting the seat and other parts, he decided the bike WAS too small for him after all. I am 5'4" and Chris is 6'. So he took my front tire and stuck it on his bike and finally took off about 90 minutes after we arrived.

We had parked at Second Beach so I walked to the Sea Wall and started my run.

There are a LOT of runners in Stanley Park. It was also a charity organization's fun run and the wall was pretty busy.

But I'm not fast and I'm pretty good hugging the right hand side of the lane, so off I went.

After about 30 seconds I realized there was something going on with my underlayers...I was wearing underwear, a pair of capri jogging pants, a running shirt and hoodie and a cross country ski jacket with vents. 

Jeepers.  My knickers were falling down!  I tried to unobtrusively hitch them up but that darn sea wall was pretty busy and I just couldn't bring myself to go digging in plain view of so many people. 

I don't know if I'd just never worn this underlayer before or if the combination of fabrics made them slide down. Or, optimistically, maybe I'd shed enough weight to make them slide?  I kept running, figuring at some point they'd stop the downward creeping and I coud evaluate the seriousness of the situation.

By then I was doing a funky side step and twist to see if I could manouver them up again without any hands on action.  After another 10 seconds or so I had to give up!  My knickers were totally twisted!!! 

I ran up to the road above the sea wall and re-adjusted matters when traffic had eased up.  But obviously I was only up for walking for the rest of the day.

Note to self: Get big girl underwear for Tough Mudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment