Friday, March 22, 2013

Not sure about this running...

I'm just finishing week #4 of my running program.  Three minutes running, one walking, five sets.  I can't say I'm loving it.  I find it very jarring on my joints and I don't ever feel graceful.  Although the girls are well secured, I feel as though they are reluctant participants in this venture. 

Today I am headed to Vancouver and stopped in Kamloops to run and use the weight room, since it was minus seven when we woke up. For the first time I used a treadmill to run. It was SO MUCH easier than running on a road.  Less joint pain by far. I felt easily able to keep the pace, too. There's a lot of spring in those units that Hwy 5 doesn't have. I'm pretty sure the Tough Mudder trails will be even more unforgiving than Hwy 5.  So I'm not moving to treadmill work any time yet.

I'm not finding I'm getting a really good workout with the running. Sure, I'm huffing and puffing when I run...but I'm trying to stick to a schedule and 20 minutes of walking/running isnt doing it.

So with the warmer weather I'm going to get my bike, wear warm clothes and start riding like crazy.  I can go hours on a bicycle and only 20 minutes running. I have to ask myself which will prepare me for Tough Mudder better in the long run.

I will still stay on the running schedule, but I'm going to time my route so I'm back at the van at 23 minutes, rather than halfway across town.  I take another 20 minute to walk back to the van when I'd rather spend that time on the bicycle.

My bike is attached to the back of the van right now.  I'm hoping the weather in Vancouver holds and I can get a long ride in before we return on Sunday.  I'll even run once, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment